Graduate students who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents.
Applicants can be from any science or engineering discipline. Examples of research areas may include but are not limited to:
- Functional electrical and magnetic ceramics, polymers, and metals
- Imaging techniques including microscopy, diffraction, and spectroscopy
- Electrical and magnetic measurements
- Neuroscience and neuroimaging
- Electrical and magnetic composites
- Signal processing, low-noise circuits, or energy harvesting
Funding and Logistics
Support for travel, lab fees, lodging will be covered by the fellowship. Penn State will provide assistance with travel insurance and a visa needed to conduct research activities at U Kiel. Each PACK Fellow will conduct research at U Kiel for a minimum of one month and up to three months.
If you would like to find out more about the PACK Fellowship, please submit the Interest Form (below) and a member of the PACK team will contact you to discuss the opportunity. Interested students will be matched with a mentor at U Kiel to discuss research opportunities, tasks, and milestones. After these discussions, interested students can submit an application for the PACK Fellowship. Applications are reviewed by a committee organized by The American Ceramic Society. Candidates recommended by the review committee will then be interviewed by the research faculty participating in the program to make final selections. Once the interviews are completed, accepted applicants will be notified.
Interested candidates will submit the following as a single PDF file:
- Certification from the department that the candidate is a graduate student in good standing
- Letter of recommendation from the graduate supervisor stating the approval to participate in PACK program
- 2-page research description describing the research focus in graduate thesis-related work to be conducted at U Kiel. List tasks and monthly milestones.
- One-page description of why you want to be a PACK fellow and how being a PACK fellow would help your research/career. While not required, it would b helpful to list any faculty at University of Kiel working the in applicant’s research area.
- Curriculum Vitae of the candidate (3-page limit)
- 1-page description of prior research achievements
The single PDF file containing all of the requested materials should be emailed to email@example.com.
There is no deadline and applications are being accepted on an ongoing basis.